Mouth swab drug tests have gained popularity among those seeking to detect drug use. This is mainly due to the convenience and accessibility of taking a saliva sample rather than urine or blood tests which are more invasive. It is also the test of choice for economic reasons as mouth swabs are less expensive than other testing options. For those being tested, mouth swabs are particularly convenient as there is a strong possibility of coming through successfully with a negative reading. This is especially true if you take certain steps and precautions which will be discussed below.
This article will cover the following nine questions, giving you everything you need to know about passing a mouth swab drug test:
- When might you face a mouth swab drug test?
- How does the mouth swab drug test work?
- How is the mouth swab drug test administered?
- What are some proven ways to beat the mouth swab drug test?
- What doesn’t work for beating the mouth swab test?
- Which drugs can be detected by the mouth swab test?
- How far does the mouth swab test go back?
- Can the mouth swab drug test give a false positive result?
- What happens if you fail your mouth swab drug test?
When might you face a mouth swab drug test
The most likely occasion when you would face a mouth swab test would be from your employer or your future employer. When you go for a job interview, you may be asked to take the test as part of the application screening process. Once you are employed, you may also face this kind of test from time to time. Sometimes, employers use this test if they suspect that one of their employees may be on drugs, or to check when someone returns from leave. It can also be used after an accident has occurred, or for random checking on roads or at schools and colleges.
How does the mouth swab drug test work
The mouth swab collects a sample of your saliva and then establishes whether there are any traces of drugs found in the saliva. These traces are also called metabolites, and they are formed by your body as a means of storing excess substances. The metabolites can be found in various places in your body such as fat cells, hair or nails. From there, over time, the metabolites move into the blood or urine as well as into the saliva.
Some substances such as THC can also be detected directly in the saliva before it metabolizes. This is because traces of THC can remain in your mouth for some hours after you have smoked. Depending on the type and quantity of drug used, the window period for detection would vary.
How is the mouth swab drug test administered
The swab itself is similar in shape and size to a normal toothbrush; however, instead of the bristles, there is a cotton swab. There are two ways to administer the mouth swab test:
- Spitting into a cup: Once a sufficient amount of saliva has been deposited into the cup, the swab is then saturated with the saliva to obtain the result.
- Placing the swab into the mouth: This is the more usual method whereby the swab is placed inside your cheek next to the lower gum. It is held in position for a few minutes until the swab becomes saturated with saliva. Swabbing may also be done along with your gum line, under your tongue or around the tonsils.
If you are given the opportunity of holding the swab yourself, then you can avoid certain areas where more toxin metabolites are likely to be. These areas would include your gum line and between your teeth.
After the saliva has been collected onto the swab, it will take a few short minutes before a result will be generated. This result will determine whether or not you have passed the drug test.
What are some proven ways to beat the mouth swab drug test
The ways and means of beating the mouth swab test are many and varied, with loads of proven success stories to tell. But you should always remember that every person is unique and the way one body reacts may be different than another. Some methods work better than others, and some people prefer one way over another or a combination of two or more methods.
At the end of the day, the only guaranteed way to pass a drug test is not to take drugs. Or if you have taken, you would need to abstain for as long as possible before the test. So if you find yourself faced with a mouth swab test, and you have recently taken drugs such as marijuana, these are some methods to try. It is important to remember that these methods will not remove the presence of the drug from your system. Rather, they can help to mask or disguise the evidence of the drug so that it is not detected by the mouth swab test.
The most common and favorite ways of beating the mouth swab test fall into two categories: home remedies and detox products.
Home Remedies that work
- Drink lots of water: This keeps you hydrated and helps the fluids in your mouth to keep moving.
- Eat a high-fat meal: If it is possible to eat a high-fat meal about an hour before your test, this can help reduce the drug metabolites in your saliva. The fat will absorb the metabolites from your bloodstream so that less of them manage to reach your saliva.
- Chew some ice: Some have found it effective to chew an ice block just before the test. The ice will cleanse your mouth and also gets rid of any lingering traces of marijuana which may still be in your saliva. Of course this is most effective if you have not smoked for at least twenty-four hours before the test.
- Chew some gum or mints: A similar method involves chewing gum or mints which will dilute your saliva, and increase your chances of a negative test result. In general, the idea is to keep your mouth clean by brushing your teeth and chewing gum, mints or ice. A combination of all or some of these has proven effective in passing a mouth swab drug test.
Detox products that work
When it comes to detoxing your mouth before a swab test, the best method is to use a mouthwash. There are a variety of effective products available such as the following
Hydrogen peroxide: This can be used as a cleansing mouth wash. You would need to rinse your mouth thoroughly for about three minutes with hydrogen peroxide an hour or less before the test. After you have rinsed, do not brush your teeth or drink anything until you have had the swab test.
Ultra Wash Toxin-Cleansing Mouthwash: The Ultra Wash Mouthwash can be used similarly and it, is an all natural product which also tastes good. It works within minutes and remains effective for up to one hour, effectively preventing drug detection. It comes in a very convenient and discreet little bottle which can be slipped into your pocket, or your desk drawer at work. If you have a bottle of Ultra Wash Mouthwash handy, you can always be prepared for any unexpected swab tests.
What doesn’t work for beating the mouth swab test
As stated above, the only real guarantee of a negative mouth swab test is complete abstinence. So if you have been taking drugs less than twenty-four hours before the test, your chances of coming out positive are increased. The methods and remedies described above have been proven to be effective in most cases. However, they may or may not work if your toxin levels are above the limit. If you have been able to abstain for at least twenty-four hours before the test you should be able to pass. The way the saliva test works is that it detects only the most recent doses so the longer you can keep off drugs the better.
One way to get a little peace of mind before the test would be to get you a home test kit. These are easily obtainable, and it will give you some idea as to whether you will pass or not. If you fail at home, you can step up some of the remedies described here, until you reach a satisfactory result.
Which drugs can be detected by the mouth swab test
Depending on the kind of swab test used, up to six different drugs can be detected. These include alcohol, marijuana, barbiturates, opiates, cocaine, methamphetamines and ecstasy. In a saliva strip test, each drug would be represented by a different color allowing the detection of more than one at a time.
Each type of drug can be detected in the system for differing amounts of time after taking. This is where marijuana users are at a definite advantage over other drug users. Marijuana can normally be detected by a saliva test for only twelve to twenty-four hours after use. Opiates and barbiturates, on the other hand are detectable for up to three days, while meth and ecstasy can remain for up to four days.
How far does the mouth swab test go back
Regarding the question of how far the mouth swab test goes back, the detection time of different drugs varies. It depends mainly on the type of drug, how much of it was used, and the personal reaction of each’s body to the drug. Each type of drug can be detected in the system for differing amounts of time after taking. This is where marijuana users are at a definite advantage over other drug users. Marijuana can normally be detected by a saliva test for only twelve to twenty-four hours after use. Opiates and barbiturates, on the other hand are detectable for up to three days, while meth and ecstasy can remain for up to four days.
The time of detection after the drug has been ingested also varies. Marijuana or cannabis can be detected by a mouth swab test within a few minutes of being taken. Opiates can take up to thirty minutes after intake before they are detected. For meth and ecstasy it also takes about half an hour after ingestion before showing up on a saliva test.
Can the mouth swab drug test give a false positive result?
Yes, it is indeed possible on occasion for the mouth swab test to give a false positive. Perhaps you have never taken drugs in your life, and to your dismay, the test comes out positive. This can be a result of taking some kinds of prescription or over-the-counter medications. Certain vitamins and supplements can also cause a false positive. That is why it is important to let your employer or whoever is testing you know exactly what medications you may be taking. Keep a copy of any prescriptions you are taking so that you can produce proof if necessary.
What happens if you fail your mouth swab drug test
Worst case scenario: your mouth swab drug test turns out positive – what do you do now? It is good to think this through and be prepared for any eventuality. You have several options as follows:
- Accept the result: This means you will be branded as guilty of drug use. Appropriate actions will be taken and consequences will be put into effect.
- Firmly declare your innocence: You could quietly and calmly state your innocence, expressing your surprise and confusion at being found positive. Be careful not to come across as aggressive as this will be counterproductive to your cause.
- Eliminate false positive possibilities: Should you be taking any prescription medication, vitamins or other medicines, proof of these could be produced. This would bring to light the possibility of a false positive and would give you some more leverage to prove your innocence.
- Ask for a urine test: You could ask for another test such as a urine test to confirm the result. This would normally be viewed as a reasonable request and would probably take a day or two for your employer to schedule. It would also buy you some more time to come up with a plan for passing the urine test.
- Seek legal advice: If all else fails you may want to seek some legal advice to help you prove your innocence.
However, none of these worst-case-scenario options should be necessary if you take up the tips described in this article. By using these home remedies and detox products, you can look forward to passing your mouth swab drug test successfully.